Humane Society of Louisiana
"Kamp Katrina" (Kreative!)
It's been hard to remember to keep up on this! I've been in Tylertown since Wednesday, about midday. It was rather hard to find this place, but once I got here, they threw me right into the mix. I've worked with the dogs a bit, but mostly have been doing general labor and helping with security.
My biggest surprises than the locals messing with the compound. It's been actually. The locals, a select few, are antagonizing more than anything, but have over time cut through the fences and taken dogs to presumable be used in midnight dogfights in the woods across the road! Dogs displaced by a fucking hurricane... rescued only to be... stolen... to be used in dogfights! Fuck Mississippi.
There is some fault with people here, as well as those at the "Bestfriends" site next-door. They don't work together at all! I was almost certain that people would work toward a common goal regardless of dogma, or affiliation. Nope! That, more than anything, plus the pseudo-cliques in our own little compound has drained me of some of my motivation. A bit of the familiar feeling re: radio and Coors Field. I'm not happy about that. I hoped the idea of working toward a common cause would remedy that, and at times it does.
My intolerance for personal politics and unqualified leadership has hindered me a bit. There are good people here, and it definitely helps. The two hippie chicks are leaving tomorrow. Carrie's from Indiana and Jessica from Portland. True pleasures to be around. A good counterbalance to the negativity. We're supposed to get out of here and go hang out in town tonight. Hope that works out.
Rick is in charge of security here. He's guilty of the typical shit, but I have no real problem with him. He doesn't lead by example all that well, yet loves to delegate. But he's been a huge help. None of us are paid, so it's hard to say anyone isn't doing their "job.' Rick is a bit of a ring leader. There are several people from Michigan here. Wisconsin, Illinois, Tennessee, Canada, Florida too. The situation will start to get a bit more difficult when the electricians and carpenters leave. Pat and I will be the main laborers left.
Shalain and I decided to essentially split up while I was gone and see what happens from here. I also need to write about yesterday's trip to New Orleans, but have to go to Walmart. More later, I hope.
(γνῶθι σεαυτόν) Ongoing travel tales include hitching a ride across the Rockies with a cop-killer, a weekend with a terminally-ill billionaire, meeting my siblings for the first time, two-months in Mexico, and scores of random people from Massachusetts to Slab City to Chiapas who are often even more interesting! If you're driven by a particular agenda, for your own protection please see the disclaimer below.
"The trouble with self-delusion, either in a person or a society, is that reality doesn't care what anybody believes, or what story they put out. Reality doesn't "spin." Reality does not have a self-image problem. Reality does not yield its workings to self-esteem management." -J.H. Kunstler
"Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation, are people who want crops without ploughing the ground; ... rain without thunder and lightning; ... the ocean without the roar of its many waters. The struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, or it may be both. But it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand; it never has and it never will." -Frederick Douglass
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows", "He not busy being born is busy dyin'", "Don't follow leaders-- watch the parking meters." -Dylan
"Hope Floats, but so does bullshit. The trick is to know the difference." -unknown
DISCLAIMER
This is a sometimes raw, always brutally honest, and personal perspective account of my travels & the people I've met; NOT another cliche' travel journal. While pondering the word "perspective," please also remember: I am neither a travel writer nor engaging in public relations. Those seeking tourist reviews, happy talk, or support for any dime-store religion or ideology should leave... right now. This will be a HUGE disappointment, and offending you is quite literally the least of my concern. Comments are encouraged, but are necessarily moderated for the time being. As the movie said: "While agreement is not required, thinking for one's self is." Please check the agenda at the door... and enjoy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment