"The trouble with self-delusion, either in a person or a society, is that reality doesn't care what anybody believes, or what story they put out. Reality doesn't "spin." Reality does not have a self-image problem. Reality does not yield its workings to self-esteem management." -J.H. Kunstler

"Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation, are people who want crops without ploughing the ground; ... rain without thunder and lightning; ... the ocean without the roar of its many waters. The struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, or it may be both. But it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand; it never has and it never will." -Frederick Douglass

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows", "He not busy being born is busy dyin'", "Don't follow leaders-- watch the parking meters." -Dylan

"Hope Floats, but so does bullshit. The trick is to know the difference." -unknown

DISCLAIMER

This is a sometimes raw, always brutally honest, and personal perspective account of my travels & the people I've met; NOT another cliche' travel journal. While pondering the word "perspective," please also remember: I am neither a travel writer nor engaging in public relations. Those seeking tourist reviews, happy talk, or support for any dime-store religion or ideology should leave... right now. This will be a HUGE disappointment, and offending you is quite literally the least of my concern. Comments are encouraged, but are necessarily moderated for the time being. As the movie said: "While agreement is not required, thinking for one's self is." Please check the agenda at the door... and enjoy!

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

5/13- 5/19: Santa Fe

Although only on the road for a month, it was was great to be home. I was struck by how easy it was to fall back into the subtle routines, and briefly appreciated them much more. Then, predictably, I watched as the "trip" quickly became something abstract, again, as though it were the vacation I had taken months before as I settled back into the familiar. This used to bother me, but now I am prepared for it and it made me chuckle. All this says something about striving to exist in the Present; it's the only "reality" there is.

Shalain and I went to see the new Star Trek movie on Thursday, and had a few nice chats over the next few days. This interlude was much better than last year's, following Ft. Morgan. The atmosphere returning home after my first 10- days in 2008 was strained after just 48- hours. This year, however, we both knew what to expect, and had used last year to better prepare and adjust.

I was ecstatic to see Shalain had begun to create her "own" life in my absence, and OUTSIDE of work. She had talked about doing this quite often, but had had trouble with it in the past. By her own admission, she desperately needed this separation/ branching out in order to forge an independent identity. I found it ironic that she had taken up... hiking... as part of that!

Friday was significant in that critical photo- printing decisions were made. I got the information I needed from Joe to begin setting prices and selling pictures! The tacticals are a bit odd, but with some patience, we can now get any photo contained in the folders to the right printed and shipped anywhere. Immediately after I added the "All Time Favs" folder as a centralized depot for our best pictures, Google used one of mine as a "Featured Picture"; displaying it on Picasa's home page for over a week. Maybe not such a big deal, but my international traffic went guano, as did the comments! I spent a brief part of Saturday at REI returning the things I had deemed "frivilous", including a dry- bag, the failed sock liners, and fancy North Face convertible pants, which were now conveniently splitting in the crotch- just as the previous ones had. I also had a moment of machismo; swapping out the OR Aurora bivy for an REI Minimalist, saving lots of cash provided it works. This model has simple bug netting over my face, rather than sealing up like an Apollo Lander. I'm also carrying a tarp. Do the math. It adds up.

Sunday, Shalain and I went on a nice hike in the mountains toward the Ski Basin, then Monday I futilely began the process of preparing to leave again. For the first few days, there had been constant questions about how long I should remain, and even where I would leave TO once I left New Mexico again. We were still seriously considering the idea of changing my Amtrak ticket from Boston to Toledo, OH then using the money saved to bus Chris there from Mass. That idea was born from a surrender to impatience, but seemed logical, as I'd then be free to spend as much time in Michigan as I liked without having to navigate Mass., New York/ Pennsylvania, and Ohio. The problem was that a big part of me, fresh off the recent regrets in missing Virginia and Tennessee, WANTED to navigate these states. I saw how beautiful E. PA and NY is on the bus, and remembered western Mass. from years before. Plus, I really wanted to meet Chris' friend, Gus.

The question had become simple: Was I going to incorporate Michigan into the experience, or the experience into Michigan?

As far as I was concerned, it was up to Shelly and Chris. He was dealing with deep, high- octane personal things in Massachusetts and I was concerned with him remaining in New England on HIS time- frame. Shelly and her schedule would obviously play a big part in the logistics.

These questions were answered quickly on Saturday during my chat with Shelly. Her schedule could accommodate us much better after June 6th. June 13th or the 20th would be prime dates. In other words: "Take your time, boys."

With this, it became obvious that I was going to New England. The remaining question being when I was hopping on the train. That was decided once and for all on Sunday when we decided to just stick with the original plan to have me depart New Mexico on May 20. The exact date I began last year's trip.

No comments: