"The trouble with self-delusion, either in a person or a society, is that reality doesn't care what anybody believes, or what story they put out. Reality doesn't "spin." Reality does not have a self-image problem. Reality does not yield its workings to self-esteem management." -J.H. Kunstler

"Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation, are people who want crops without ploughing the ground; ... rain without thunder and lightning; ... the ocean without the roar of its many waters. The struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, or it may be both. But it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand; it never has and it never will." -Frederick Douglass

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows", "He not busy being born is busy dyin'", "Don't follow leaders-- watch the parking meters." -Dylan

"Hope Floats, but so does bullshit. The trick is to know the difference." -unknown

DISCLAIMER

This is a sometimes raw, always brutally honest, and personal perspective account of my travels & the people I've met; NOT another cliche' travel journal. While pondering the word "perspective," please also remember: I am neither a travel writer nor engaging in public relations. Those seeking tourist reviews, happy talk, or support for any dime-store religion or ideology should leave... right now. This will be a HUGE disappointment, and offending you is quite literally the least of my concern. Comments are encouraged, but are necessarily moderated for the time being. As the movie said: "While agreement is not required, thinking for one's self is." Please check the agenda at the door... and enjoy!

Saturday, April 25, 2009

4/25: Denton, MD

I initially thought I would be writing a virtual novel for this post, but instead I'm going to refer you to Chris's posts. He spent all morning writing about the mental gymnastics of Friday and Saturday, and articulated it perfectly. There's no use writing virtually the same thing here, other than to add that it's funny how often these little psyche- disturbances turn out to be valuable indicators that you're off course.

I point to that when trying to explain to people why I was so miserable doing radio; miserable to the point of hurling stacks of CDs across the studio, becoming (even more of) a total prick to work with ... and not being able to explain why. I firmly believe many people suffer from this peculiar affliction, but are ill- equipped (or afraid) to investigate it. Instead they accept the notion that they're simply "depressed", and run to the pharmacy, or do nothing until the pain becomes to great to bear. I can empathize with that, and it deserves more pity than criticism; it's how we're engineered. In that sense too, those whose barometer is active are blessed.

Saturday was a bit more difficult for me than the previous 12- days, and it was due "solely" to my feet, my left heel in particular, which had been getting progressively worse since Tuesday. It's a chronic problem, unless I have shoes that fit perfectly, and are broken in before I engage in marathon walking sessions. I'm using the same boots that I used last year, with great success, but I purchased them a scant two days before we left, so the leather had not had time to mold to my feet. After our chat Saturday morning (Chris's post), I had some miles left in me, yet was running short on blister- dressing. I was reusing the same bandage, simply adding more duct tape to secure it. That made it bearable but, after the few miles into Denton, I realized the tape was preventing air- circulation causing a problem of its own. Loose skin now spread the entire span of my heel. The actual blister was healing very well, but where the loose skin was meeting the intact skin was cracking, causing even more pain.

After Saturday morning's hurried, narrow escape from Hillsboro's abundance of Black Widows and ticks, I'm nearly in love with Denton. It reminds me of Pleasantville, without the creepy- factor. Our first stop was the library where we found some of the friendliest & helpful librarian folks you'll ever see. After two hours of Internet, and cell/ camera charging, they pointed us in the direction of the pharmacy, where I could buy some Moleskins. We walked about half way there when we got our first ride from a special- kind- of- crazy local and his wife, who were on their way to the store too.

Rite Aid happens to be literally next door to Food Lion, so we could conveniently replenish our dwindling food. Only after purchasing everything did we realize that there was a Dollar General two- doors the other way. I had learned the usefulness of the Dollar Stores from my carnie friends. Carnies are not the most savory of creatures, but one of their redeeming qualities is a special kind of fiscal savvy. You need that spend- thriftiness when your first priority is beer (or heroin) AND you plan to eat!

After the shopping, re- packing, and re- re- bandaging chores were completed, my heel began to dry, making it extremely painful to walk. We had come to the conclusion that we were going to set up Camp Denton, and begin the attempt of hitching to Lewes. This reminds me a bit of my central- Idaho experience last year, except there are no trucks to hope for, and no Mormons to fear me. Hitcher says, "Boo!" Hitcher also thought this may take awhile.

By sundown, the Food Lion shopping center had taken on the "small- town Saturday- prom night" vibe. I was feeling rather traumatized after dealing with pain all day, so we crossed paths with a pack of feral cats feasting on Food Lion waste, and found a place to camp hoping to get an early jump on Sunday.

No comments: