Training now thru Iowa toward Nebraska; I'm sick of this part of the country. I'm a bit unnerved tonight. Not bad, but starting to sense and put a face on the impending storm, and don't want this trip to end. The train caught the remnants of Hurricane Katrina early this morning, somewhere between Erie & Cleveland. What ever was left couldn't have been too bad; I only woke up for a second.
I'm not looking forward to Denver, and I'm afraid I'm also set up for a really big let-down in North Carolina. Either housing won't come thru, or some other shoe will drop. That's my old thinking of course, but fell like I should consider it. I feel energized when I think of the potential adventures but it's still merely and idea; not yet fact. I believe that's why I'm dreading Denver: It's about to become fact, or I'll back down again.
What have I gained from the last two-days [on the train]? The reflection and realization that there ARE people out there who ARE peers. And, my thoughts of returning to my relationship are of dread. To continue seems pointless. Where would we be going? Toward what? More of the same. All the rationale for staying lies on the foundation of me changing myself. "Change" is guaranteed, but not of the variety needed! The more I try to comply and conform, the angrier I become. My identity: I want to redefine and reclaim it. Gotta go: every time I leave, I feel that.
For the last 48-hours, I've been telling myself that I'm going to do this when I get back, and not only for me, but to spare her further misery as well. I suppose I should take a deep breath when I get home, relax, and re-assess things. Not sure what, other than catastrophic failure somewhere, could change this.
(γνῶθι σεαυτόν) Ongoing travel tales include hitching a ride across the Rockies with a cop-killer, a weekend with a terminally-ill billionaire, meeting my siblings for the first time, two-months in Mexico, and scores of random people from Massachusetts to Slab City to Chiapas who are often even more interesting! If you're driven by a particular agenda, for your own protection please see the disclaimer below.
"The trouble with self-delusion, either in a person or a society, is that reality doesn't care what anybody believes, or what story they put out. Reality doesn't "spin." Reality does not have a self-image problem. Reality does not yield its workings to self-esteem management." -J.H. Kunstler
"Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation, are people who want crops without ploughing the ground; ... rain without thunder and lightning; ... the ocean without the roar of its many waters. The struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, or it may be both. But it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand; it never has and it never will." -Frederick Douglass
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows", "He not busy being born is busy dyin'", "Don't follow leaders-- watch the parking meters." -Dylan
"Hope Floats, but so does bullshit. The trick is to know the difference." -unknown
DISCLAIMER
This is a sometimes raw, always brutally honest, and personal perspective account of my travels & the people I've met; NOT another cliche' travel journal. While pondering the word "perspective," please also remember: I am neither a travel writer nor engaging in public relations. Those seeking tourist reviews, happy talk, or support for any dime-store religion or ideology should leave... right now. This will be a HUGE disappointment, and offending you is quite literally the least of my concern. Comments are encouraged, but are necessarily moderated for the time being. As the movie said: "While agreement is not required, thinking for one's self is." Please check the agenda at the door... and enjoy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment